Sunday, November 7, 2021

Hummingbird moth and very old UFO

 The Hawthorn and Hummingbird moth is from a kit from Alison Cole. She discovered the moth on a trip to Utah when she was teaching here and said that she couldn't wait to stitch one.

It has dimensional flowers and  leaves in the pattern but I couldn't resist making the moth 3 dimensional so that it could hover over the flowers. Alison's pattern has the top of the moth and the wings. I found photo of bottom of the moth and stitched the bottom and created legs for it. It was a bit tricky  to put it all together. There are a few things that I might do differently if I was to do another one but I am happy with the way that I  turned out. I put a green wire in the bottom so that it could hover over the flowers. Taking photos was hard but I think that you can see the full moth.




In 1999, I took a class at seminar from Judy Souliotis. I worked on it in class but then it got put away for 20+ years. I was looking for a  UFO to work on and pulled it out. It is called Bouquet de Fleurs and is a basket of  shaded silk flowers on white Sha. The purpose of the class was to learn a number of techniques of shading with silk threads. It uses Japanese flat silk, Chinese slightly twisted silk and Needlepoint silk along with several types gold threads. I have improved my techniques over the years and now feel free to add and adapt as I go along if I want to, but stayed close to the original design of this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment