Thursday, February 9, 2023

Petal Bag - Daisy



I am going to post my stitching journey from idea, through design and finish for my petal bag. This is the Daisy panel of my bag. It is stitched and ready to finish.

I belong to a stitching group that has Zoom meetings twice a month. We discuss almost everything that has to do with stitching and sometimes have a project that we work on. 

We have just finished a long discussion on color and design but I am sure that we will revisit parts of that in the future. Even though we have a common idea for a project, none of us end up doing anything that resembles each others work. One of the projects that we started was the frog purse. I finished mine and have posted it on this blog under the 17th century label along the side.

A while ago, we started discussing stitching a Sweet Bag. These bags were very common in the Tudor period. They range from the very fancy bags that held the Great Seal of the King or Queen to plain ones that would hold sweet herbs in a clothes press. Of course, the ones that have survived are the fancy ones even though we have a number of records of many others that existed but are now lost.  Below are just three of some of the fabulous examples.



I had already done an 17th century bag and wanted to do something else so I started to do some research and decided to make a five sided petal shaped bag. There are many variations on the shape and decoration. In India they can be called Lotus flower or potli bags. I created a Pinterest folder of Sweet bags and other fancy bags so that I could get some inspiration. They are on my Pinterest page at carolynswebb.



I also did some research on flowers and motifs that were popular in the Tudor period and started to narrow down my choices of flowers. I did a thumbnail sketch of one of the sides and decided that was the direction that I was going to go in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment